The benefits of keeping bees are abundant: pollination in gardens, a fresh supply of honey, and the knowledge that you're supporting creatures fundamental to a healthy ecosystem.
This beekeeping guide will help make backyard beekeeping for beginners a breeze, with the tools and sound advice you need to plan your first colony, care for your bees, and enjoy the harvest.
Suit up and get buzzing with an overview of some of the gear you'll need and guidance for choosing the right hive. Find step-by-step instructions on hive assembly as well as advice on installing and feeding your bees. Learn when and how to inspect the hive, including tips on keeping your bees happy and healthy, and walkthroughs of different harvesting techniques.
- New bees on the block―Build a thriving backyard beehive with advice for planning outdoor space, planting the best blooms for a bee-friendly garden, and caring for your hive throughout the seasons.
- What's the buzz―Explore a variety of beekeeping approaches and methods, like natural vs. medicated, the differences among popular hive types, and tips for preventing swarming.
- Sweet as honey―From Chile-Infused Honey to Beeswax Candles and Healing Herbal Salves, you'll find 15 delicious honey-based recipes as well as more than a dozen creative uses for beeswax.
With this guide, you'll have the head start you need to be a successful backyard beekeeper.
- Written by David and Sheri Burns.
- Published by Rockridge Press, July 7, 2020.
- 0.47" H x 9.25" L x 7.5" W (0.9 lbs) 170 pages